Thursday, September 6, 2012


On a stroll with the trolls

I was watching that awful TV show the other night, the one hosted by that B grade celebrity Chrissy Swan…’Can of Worms’ I think it’s called. Just a dreadful piece of work (The show and Chrissy). The topic for debate that I forced myself to sit through was ‘Should internet trolls be named and shamed?’ the panel of three guests voted 2 to 1 in favour of ‘yes, they should be named and shamed’. The three guests and Chrissy bantered for about 10 minutes before asking a few members of the audience for their opinion, whom sided with Chrissy and opted for the trolls to be named and shamed as well. I will admit, it was hard for me to sit there and not make snidely remarks at the TV or clench my fists in rage as I heard the piss poor arguments from a woman that has no right being on commercial television. I do have strong feelings about this issue; I have a very loud opinion in fact! Anonymity on the internet will never cease. You cannot police it, you cannot monitor it, you cannot enforce it and you certainly cannot make people share their personal details about themselves online. Chrissy Swan asking for people’s real names to be used when Tweeting or sending out vitriolic comments via the web is like asking a heckler at a standup comedy gig to prefix every heckle with “Hi, my name Shaun Anderson of 123 Smith Street, Pleasantville and I think that last joke you made was distasteful, offensive and inappropriate, if you could refrain from offending me for the duration of your show that would be highly appreciated. Thank You”
“Fuck off cunt, sincerely, standup comedy guy of 321 Blow Me Road, Pricksville”
The right to not share your personal details online and make scathing remarks is one of the internet’s biggest draw cards for most people. It gives them an identity that they can’t have in the real world. I’m not condoning the act of putting people down or harassing people online, not at all. I’m saying that trying to stop it from happening is like trying to put Chrissy Swan on a diet…it’s just not going to happen (see what I did there? I just trolled).
I have no problem identifying myself; I don’t hide my identity, its right there in my profile. It’s my real name, my real photo (unfortunately) and, believe it or not, it’s my real opinion in these blogs! Ouch, shock and horror right? Chris is being honest and scathing online and he’s not hiding his identity. I can make these remarks about Chrissy Swan because it is my opinion, one in which I am allowed to have. Should I be allowed to voice this opinion online? Abso-fucking-lutely. Should I be allowed to voice it online and remain anonymous? Fuck oath I’m allowed. I choose not to remain anonymous because I am not ashamed of my opinion; it’s mine to be had. However, I don’t frown upon people who remain in the deep, dark shadows of the web and shout out incognito. Fuck’em, let them voice their opinion under a shroud of mystery…are you really going to get upset by a nameless/faceless individual? Who could very well be a 14 year old child? Or a drunk? Or a bunch of guys sitting around together just trying to get a rise out of you?
Chrissy Swan made the comment to an audience member “You might find it funny, but what about my feelings? You don’t know what it takes to upset me? You might just think it’s a joke, but it hurts my feelings? You don’t know anyone’s tolerance levels?” the audience clapped like she just cured cancer or something! Fuck me Chrissy! You’re right, I don’t know your tolerance levels, I don’t know what offends you, I don’t know what hurts your feelings…but you know what? I know you don’t have to have a Twitter account! I know you don’t have to listen! I know you don’t have to read what I am writing! Why should I have to remain silent because you have low tolerance levels? Why should I not be allowed to voice an opinion because you might have some feelings that will get hurt? Dry your eyes princess and get the fuck off the web if you’re so fucking sensitive. Get out of the media if you can’t handle the heat. The reality is Chrissy, if you’re in the public eye, then you’re going to get these comments (especially you because you’re an easy target and you’re extremely uneducated).
Do you know the definition of an ‘Internet Troll’? Here it is for those who don’t:
“In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, or off topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response.”
‘The intent to provoke other users into a desired emotional response.’ There it is, so, by retweeting, by getting upset and by going public with your tears, you are simply playing the game that your personal Troll wants you to play. How about, instead of this asinine concept of naming and shaming, how about you stop giving two shits and let these Trolls troll away.
It takes two people to get upset Chrissy! A smart person and an idiot…which one are you?

Until next time,
-Chris
Oliver says 'PFFT, AMATUERS IN THE MEDIA'

No comments:

Post a Comment