Knock Knock?
For some reason, unbeknownst to me, every Tuesday night for the past three or so weeks, the topic of inappropriate jokes has been raised during class (I forgot to mention I study an extra-curricular activity, I’ll touch on that later). Jokes pertaining to such topics as racism, homosexuality, abortion, rape, religion etc.
I would like to clear up a few issues I have with the above topics when used in conjunction with humour. I’d like it to be known I am very liberal when it comes to humour and I will most certainly come forward right now and say not one joke will ever offend me. However, I understand that not all individuals are like myself, and don’t take jokes in the same fashion as I. I have one rule of thumb when making jokes or witty remarks when it comes to sensitive issues, and quite simply it is this ‘The listener of your humour should be able to recognize it is a joke and laugh along with you, not feel vilified for his/her own belief’ ... essentially, if you intend on making a joke on homosexuality, then I will expect you to be clever enough to entertain the gay community with the same joke. Now, all this being said, I also understand that some people aim for the ‘shock value’ humour, again, I have no problem with shock value, in fact, I personally enjoy it. Just remember, shock value does not mean crucifying an entire community, such legendary comedians have been using shock value comedy since the late 50’s. The greats such as George Carlin or Richard Pryor, for example, consistently used shocking humour in their routines, but did so with such a command of the English language, with vast linguistic skills and tact that everyone understood the humour and didn’t feel ousted for having an opinion or belief.
One comedian in particular who is known for writing about socially awkward and inappropriate situations is Larry David, a personal idol of mine, you only need to watch one episode of his hit TV series ‘Curb Your Enthusiasm’ to see just exactly how to write shock value humour. Larry David keeps a poster behind his desk where he does all his comedic writing, the poster quite simply has a clown on it with the statement ‘Funny? Jokes that injure others, waste time, hurt records...are never jokes. Let’s think twice’
And I couldn’t agree more...let’s all think twice.
~INTERMISSION~
Okay, so I’ve had my rant and now I can here you all saying ‘Think you can make a joke without castrating an entire community?’ Honestly, of course I can.
Start off with a little self deprecating humour, something light, something like this ‘I was fucking this guy last night and I reached around and felt his cock...and it was hard! Shocked I pulled my hand off and said “What’s this shit? I don’t fuck gay guys!”’ It’s a gay joke, but it doesn’t really offend anyone (unless you have an aversion towards words like fuck and cock).
Give it a try sometime, tell a controversial joke without offending someone or an entire group of people, you will find it a lot more satisfying getting reactions from your clever jokes rather than from your jokes that portray hatred and vilification.
What do you think? Do you have a particular topic that you feel shouldn’t be joked about? Are you as liberal as I am or do you simply not care and think a joke is a joke and should be told no matter what? Tell me below.
Until next time,
-Chris
![]() |
| Oliver says 'MAKE FUN OF ME AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS' |

I like your jokes! The one written above is very witty and I think it in turn makes the joke even better! Give me another....
ReplyDeleteInstead of giving you another one, I'll give you a link to a great article about how to tell a rape joke,
Deletehttp://jezebel.com/5925186/how-to-make-a-rape-joke
Enjoy!