Wednesday, July 11, 2012


Nice guys finish last...or do they?

A few minor technical aspects before we get started (the boring stuff)
It would appear that some people would like to know how they can subscribe to the blog. I’ve added a ‘Follow by Email’ option directly to your right. Enter your primary email address and you’ll receive notifications when the blog is updated. I hope this helps feed your addiction.

~ON WITH THE SHOW~

I want to talk about that old adage ‘Nice guys finish last’. It basically goes hand in hand with ‘Treat ‘em mean, keep ‘em keen’. I only bring it up because recently I was told I am too nice to women. I found this absurd. But, it got me to thinking; a cliché saying is only a cliché saying because it bares some semblance of truth. Women of the world, is this true? I have posed the question on Facebook with responses like ‘Yeah, I don’t want a pretty boy’ or ‘Mean to some degree, not an abusive drunk or anything’. So, it would appear that women actually don’t want nice guys. Maybe I should harden up a little, throw in the occasional ‘Bitch you be trippin’ get back in the kitchen’. I’ve pondered and thought for countless hours over this and I have come to the honest conclusion that I will not be turning into Kanye West anytime soon. Already I hear scores of women cry ‘you’ll die a lonely old man’, this may be true, but you know what? I don’t want to be with a woman who is happy to be mistreated. I don’t want to have to ‘treat her mean to keep her keen’! I want her to be assertive, confident, happy in her own skin and above all else...proud. I want her to be proud of who she is. She’s out there somewhere.
Also, I want to touch on yesterday’s blog just briefly. An astute reader of the blog contacted me and asked, and I paraphrase here, ‘Celibacy? Really? Do you mean until you’re next girlfriend or marriage? Or do you mean...forever?’ to clear things up, I do plan on having sex again. A lot of sex. Over and over, copious amounts of unbridled and probably illegal sex in some parts of the United States, namely California. Great sex, awkward sex, funny sex, what-the-fuck sex, alone sex, partnered sex, three-way sex, foreign sex, domestic sex, mile high sex, mile low sex, standing, sitting, bent over, against a wall, on the ceiling, inside, outside, in the car, on the bonnet, in the woods, on the beach, up a tree, in the hay, her house, my house, the in-laws house...sex! Anything not in the aforementioned list I will not be taking part in...I’m not a pervert.

~INTERMISSION~

I’ve heard women constantly complain that chivalry is dead. Is it? Have the women of the world united, banded together and decided to kill off any and all remaining traces of chivalry just so they can complain it doesn’t exist? Who knows? I for one will not be changing who I am. I enjoy opening the car door, letting a woman go ahead of me in a queue, using my please and thank you’s and giving up my coat on a cold night (even if she is only wearing a mini skirt with a strapless and sleeveless top on a 3 degree night). I don’t believe it's dead. I believe women are cherry picking certain qualities they want in men. “Hmm, I’ll take ‘him paying for dinner’ he can keep ‘opening my car door’ I’ll take ‘letting me on the lifeboat first’ he can keep ‘running back into the flaming house to save the cat”’ if I am coming off as cynical, please let me know.
Comment below and tell me what your thoughts are. Do you want to be mistreated? Is chivalry dead? Men, am I alone here? Is there a healthy balance between mean and nice? You tell me...

Until next time,
-Chris

Oliver says "NO" to animal cruelty

5 comments:

  1. I've just joined the 'follow by email' will be so much easier to know when updates are available! Thanks. So long as you don't go back to where you got your heart broken, your celibacy pact will be truly remarkable! It will make it even more special to the girl who's waiting out there for you. Ummm not sure who told you chivalry is dead?! Sure isn't in my eyes! It's a top quality to have and I wouldn't have a man without it. Don't let it die!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tadaahhh, thank you for joining the email list! The celibacy remark has actually caused a little bit of a stir!

      Delete
    2. I can only imagine.. Good luck with it!!

      Delete
  2. I for one am GLAD that chivalry is NOT dead!! I salute you for continuing on a noble tradition that should be embraced by women and enjoyed rather than laughed at or ignored! I've had 3 "dud" boyfriends who were completely self-obsessed/abusive/drug-induced-could-not-care-less-state/etc etc and I had almost given up when I realised I was doing it to myself. I was choosing the asshole boyfriends over the "nice guys". WTF was wrong with me?!! Lol Something we all tend to do as women and IT NEEDS TO STOP!! I smarted up, got myself a "nice guy" and seriously could not be happier! The problem is, that it takes a bit of maturity to choose a nice guy as they generally don't put up with immature bs (if that makes sense?) and they generally have a more secure lifestyle (which some women take as boring) but I think is AWESOME! Call me a home-body but I love spending money doing worthwhile things with my partner, not wasting it at the pub every weekend trying to prove "I've still got it" hahaha sorry that made me laugh but it's true ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nazza, very pleased to hear you've made it through a storm of bad boyfriends to come out on the other side unperturbed and wiser. Kudos to you! Also, I'm sure you can prove you'still got it' without needing to head out on a drunken rampage each weekend ;-)

      Delete