Thursday, July 26, 2012


The Good Old Days

I won’t lie, I’m a sentimentalist. I constantly find myself reminiscing about the past, not always to the same time frame, just back to those days that stand out in my mind as being the better days.
I grew up as a teenager in the 90’s, being a kid back then was great. I believe every generation thinks they had it best, but I really mean it when I say we did. Just like the generation before me, we also didn’t have mobile phones, text messaging, social media or any other high tech gadgetry to stay in touch. If you were out and wanted to catch up with a friend, you would take fifty cents to the phone box, dial their home number and pray that your friend was home, because if they weren’t, you would lose your fifty cents and get stuck talking to the parentals. Also, growing up in Australia in the 90’s, we witnessed the birth of the internet (IT gurus, I am well aware internet protocol was around before the 90’s, I’m talking about when it became mainstream in Australian households). No other generation will ever get to experience what it is like being a 14 year old boy trying to download low resolution porn from a 28.8Kbps modem with fragmented line after fragmented line, performing an erotic strip tease before your very eyes, but wait, what’s that? Is someone coming? Quick, turn off the interweb....internet! Bah, whatever it’s called. Mum comes bursting through the door, “What are you up to Chris?” “Just looking around this web thingy”. Forty-five minutes of my Saturday afternoon wasted.
Yep, 90’s kids had it well. We got the Ninja Turtles, The Fresh Prince, Captain Planet, Doug, Power Rangers, Seinfeld and The X Files. Arnold was still making movies and reality TV wasn’t trashy. Poking someone still had a literal meaning and if you tweeted you were mocking a blue jay. Burger joints didn’t have to tell you how they were slowly killing you with unnecessary kilojoules and a bag of mixed lollies were only twenty cents. Didn't the air just taste and smell cleaner back then? The skies seemed bluer and the people more friendly? Yes, take me back to those halcyon days anytime, I surely do miss them.

~INTERMISSION~

I want to take a moment to say thank you to the handful of readers from Russia, behind Australia, you fine people are reading my blog more than any other country, so for that, I say thank you. I won’t leave out the few from the USA, your patronage is also commendable. However, I do want to say a very special hello to the one reader from South Korea. You are my one and only reader from your wonderful country and for some reason, this makes me feel swollen with pride. I’d like you to drop me a line sometime, maybe leave a comment, but for now, this is for you:
독서 주셔서 감사합니다 귀하의 지원은 나에게 많은 의미하고있는 동안 당신이 읽고 계속되어서, 난 계속 쓸 겁니다. 있어요.

To everyone else wo helped me break the 500 view mark in under two weeks, thank you. As long as people keep reading, I'll keep this blog going.
One other thing, I am aware that the past few have been shorter than usual, but, I've had a lot on my mind lately, maybe one day I'll tell you all about it... or not.

Until next time,
-Chris
Oliver says '나 섹시 해요 그리고 난 알아'

2 comments:

  1. Are you going to watch the new tv show called Puberty Blues?? Maybe that'll take you back to your time.. Have some more memories :) Yes, life was good, back in the good ol days.. However, I much prefer my twenties than my teens. More independent comes more responsibility but all these experiences that I've had are far greater than my nieve teen years. So I treasure these years instead :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard about that new show...I'll keep an eye out, thanks for the tip. I think I prefer my preteens over anytime in my life...but I suppose, I'm still just as neieve and silly as I was back then :-P

      Delete