Thursday, August 2, 2012


Australian Radio School


Last week I mentioned that I have been taking on some extracurricular activities each Tuesday night for the past three months. The activity in question is actually Sean Craig Murphy’s Australian Radio School. The class is an introduction to radio and last three months, once a week, for two hours. Even if you have never envisioned a career in radio or media in general, the course is fantastic for building up confidence, learning how to communicate with people and connecting with them on a personal level and, more importantly than anything else, you will meet some of the greatest and most inspiring people to walk this Earth. It's three months of your life that you will never forget. For more info please do check out their website*
*The aforementioned spiel was not a paid advertisement.

So, last Tuesday was final class. It was a great final lesson and one that brought many laughs, many Facebook friend requests, a few drinks and then a few more. Before I continue, I would like to do a massive shout out to a few people, who deserve a little Bloggin’ With Chris recognition.
Firstly, our winner, our shining star, our future mentor and our friend...Sophie.
Sophie won the esteemed accolade of ‘The Big Star’ award. Sophie is an extremely likeable and personable individual. She is outgoing, well spoken, highly intelligent and just an all round awesome person to hang out with. It’s becoming harder and harder to find people like Sophie these days, someone who has the capability of connecting with everyone she meets and is never without a story to keep you entertained. Well done Sophie, two very loud applauding hands clapping for you right now!
Next up is Reama. Ah Reama...Reama, Reama, Reama. Without a single doubt in my mind, I can honestly say that I have never, in my entire life met such a unique cat. Reama is one of these people that you only need to meet once and you will never forget her. She has an opinion on everything (which is great) and not shy to voice it. Reama won the ‘The X Factor’ award...once you meet her, you’ll know why!
Last, and by no means least, we have Ellie. When I first met Ellie I thought to myself ‘What is this shy and timid little field mouse doing at a radio course?’ It only took one evening with her, outside of class, to realise exactly why she is perfect for a role in media. Ellie is extremely intelligent and has an ability to command the English language in a way that would equal Oscar Wilde. Do not let the size fool you, amazing stuff comes in small packages. Ellie also took out an 'X Factor' award, she certainly has a charm about her that when she speaks, you can't take your ears off her.
One last shout out for our teacher and friend, Sean Craig Murphy. Learning under one of Australia’s greatest on air talents was a once in a lifetime experience. His 30+ years in the industry has earned him the utmost respect amongst his peers. This guru of radio has such a passion for his field, it makes him the perfect candidate to tutor and educate the next generation of Australian radio stars. Props to you Mr. Murphy, your fiery passion and dedication to your art is infectious.

~INTERMISSION~

The hangover, I almost forgot to mention it. After class on Tuesday, we twelve young Padawans of radio celebrated our completion of the course with some drinks. A handful of us decided to continue the celebrations at the nearest tavern we could find. The story doesn’t need much explanation; you can pretty much work out exactly what happened next. That’s right...we all drank responsibly and then drove home. This is not where I got the hangover from. Still feeling upbeat and positive from the night’s festivities I decided, maybe not intelligently, to have another drink...then another. It really didn’t take long before I had finished a six pack of beer and left over Chinese food (A perfect combination at the time, not quite so the next morning). Now, I just want to come clean on a few things, for those of you that might be following on Twitter (@ThatChrisMorris) I have already stated it, but I’ll state it here as well. If, under any circumstances, you just happen to be online whilst I am in the throes of one of my celebratory drinking sessions...please, for all that is sacred in this world, do not initiate any communication with me. I feel sorry for one certain individual who got stuck chatting with me on Tuesday night until 3am. You did very well for sticking around for as long as you did. Kudos.
Any who, enough drivel from me. Get up and go outside, kiss a stranger, talk to a homeless man, sun bake naked in your back yard...whatever is going to make you happy, go out there and do it!

Until next time,
-Chris

Oliver says 'DAD WON AN AWARD AS WELL, HE WAS JUST TOO MODEST TO TELL YOU ALL'

5 comments:

  1. Congrats on finishing the course and I'm glad u met some good ppl along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, constant reader...I met some very wildly entertaining individuals!!

      Delete
  2. I was thinking to myself... "Why did you get a hangover over the two beers you drank with us!?"
    Now I understand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remained coherantly sober for the entire night...until I got home. That's where I became a blathering mess and couldn't string basic syllables together.

      Delete